[vtkusers] C++ introspection (was raw buffer access in Tcl)

N Smethurst nick.smethurst at free.fr
Mon Jun 16 14:31:36 EDT 2003

Hi everyone

I noticed this discussion on the idea of a c++ pipeline browser and thought
I'd add my 2 cents..

In the last few months, I've been developing a c++ based KDE visualisation
program that uses VTK and I've been toying with using XML to implement an
object browser in c++. My initial reasoning was that loading/saving
to/from the XML files of my application would slot in to this
configuration, but the more I think about it, the more it looks to me that
it could be a generally good way of providing general runtime manipulation
for the pipeline browser I am writing.

My initial idea was to construct a simple base class with virtual domIn(..)
and domOut(..) methods (plus a QListViewItem object for the browser in the
case of my KDE app), and then to use multiple inheritance to construct a
new set of classes derived from this base class and each VTK object class.
The domIn/domOut methods would hopefully be written using an automated
procedure, and would process/generate XML DOM elements passed/received by
whatever needed to pass/receive them.

It struck me that if anyone else was interested in this kind of thing, a
collaboration could beneficial. Is there anyone out there that would be
interested in this idea? This part of my program could easily be
non-program specific.

Nick