[vtkusers] Improving rendering speed

Ajit Rajwadé ajit_v_r at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 09:38:04 EDT 2003

Hello,

I need some tips for improving rendering speed. I am rendering a 3D surface
(from 8000 points) and it takes 15 seconds for the Render routine. Is this
merely a hardware problem?

Here is what I am doing:

(ren is the vtkRenderer and renWin is the vtkRenderWindow - the call
"renWin->Render" takes ages. I am using the triangle strips as well, as
somebody had suggested. I have another model which consists of 76000 points
and the whole thing takes 4 minutes to render. I am fully optimizing my
code.)

// Create a data set. Load the starting points
vtkPolyData *inputDataSet = vtkPolyData::New();
inputDataSet->SetPoints(meanPoints);

	// Construct the surface
   vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter *surf =
vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter::New();
surf->SetInput(inputDataSet);

   // Create isosurface
vtkContourFilter *cf = vtkContourFilter::New();
  cf->SetInput(surf->GetOutput());
  cf->SetValue(0,0.0);
  cout << "Isosurface construction done..." << endl;

vtkPolyDataNormals *bNormals = vtkPolyDataNormals::New();
  bNormals->SetInput(cf ->GetOutput());
    bNormals->SetFeatureAngle(60.0);

  vtkStripper *bStripper = vtkStripper::New();
    bStripper->SetInput(bNormals->GetOutput());

vtkPolyDataMapper *map = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
map->SetInput(bStripper->GetOutput());
map->ScalarVisibilityOff();

vtkActor *surfaceActor = vtkActor::New();
   surfaceActor->SetMapper( map );

ren->AddActor(surfaceActor);
   ren->SetBackground(1,1,1);

printf ("\nBefore the Rendering");