[vtkusers] raw buffer access in Tcl

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Thu Jun 12 20:21:44 EDT 2003

I have thought for a while that if the vtk build process can auto-generate
wrappers for other languages then why not for C++. This would give
'introspection' capabilities which would be very useful to make a vtk
pipeline editor...

 my 2c,   Dave Pont

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          "H.Vidal, Jr."         |
|        |          <hvidal at tesseract-tech.|
|        |          com>                   |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          vtkusers-admin at public.k|
|        |          itware.com             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          13/06/2003 09:09       |
|        |          Please respond to      |
|        |          hvidal                 |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     "[vtkusers]" <vtkusers at public.kitware.com>                                                    |
  |      cc:                                                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     [vtkusers] raw buffer access in Tcl                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I just discovered that many vtk in objects in Tcl have a ListMethods
method that dumps out available methods on object. Many methods for some
objects that are listed in Doxygen listing are not listed in ListMethods
output. Specifically, it seems that none of the raw pointer access calls
for things like vtkIntArray ( or any vtkDataArray child class) have
exposed things like GetPointer() in Tcl, whereas header files in C++ seem
to 'publicly' expose these methods. Why is this? Tcl is made to glue very
nicely with C, so gluing vtk with more (high speed) C, say for acquisition
and data loading purposes, would seem a very logical thing. Any thoughts
from experienced developers and/or users?

H.Vidal, Jr.