[vtkusers] Delaunay triangulation of point data

Donald S Dunbar dsd at lorax.ca
Tue Jun 10 17:34:22 EDT 2003

I'm having trouble doing something very simple:  read ASCII point data
from a file, apply Delaunay triangulation, and visualize.  I'm stuck at
the beginning.   I understand that I'm missing a step or two, I just
can't seem to figure out how to fix it.  Help appreciated (this should
be an easy one).

Thanks - Don Dunbar

My data looks like this:
==================
# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
Point data
ASCII
DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID
POINTS 20129 float
491534.14 5460893.29 -1.70
491508.13 5460934.29  0.20
(continued)

My TCL code looks like this:
======================
package require vtk
package require vtkinteraction
vtkUnstructuredGridReader reader
     reader SetFileName "bathy.vtk"
vtkPolyData profile
     profile SetPoints [reader GetOutput]
vtkDelaunay3D del
     del SetInput profile
     del SetTolerance 0.01
     del SetAlpha 0.2
     del BoundingTriangulationOff

The error generated is:
Error in startup script: vtk bad argument, type conversion failed for
object vtkTemp0.
Could not type convert vtkTemp0 which is of type vtkUnstructuredGrid,
to type vtkPoints.
Object named: profile, could not find requested method: SetPoints
or the method was called with incorrect arguments.

     while executing
"profile SetPoints [reader GetOutput]"