[vtkusers] Help with linking C++ native code for Java JNI

Greg Scott g.scott at oneteldsl.net
Fri Jun 6 10:03:04 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

Following a recent post, I thought I would try writing some C++ code which will had back an array to Java. Whilst I can get basic "Hello World" type JNI programs to work, I've having difficulty in doing anything that uses vtk-based methods for Java. On linking a program which uses vtkJavaUtils.h, e.g. to invoke the vtkJavaGetPointerFromObject() method, I get the following error:

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void * __cdecl vtkJavaGetPointerFromObject(struct JNIEnv_ *,class jobject *,char *)" (?vtkJavaGetPointerFromObject@@YAPAXPAUJNIEnv_@@PAV_jobject@@PAD at Z)

Does anyone know which .lib file the vtkJavaUtil code have been incorporated in? I thought I was including all of those required. I get the same error through Visual C++ IDE and from the 'cl' command-line approach.

Any advice much appreciated,
Greg