[vtkusers] OSX

gamal akabani hneide gakabani at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 4 11:52:44 EDT 2003

Hi, all

I have compiled VTK for the mac OS X using cocoa, carbon and hybrid (X11).
However, careful attention must be given to what kind of wrappers (TCLTK and
Python) you are using.

In my experience, when compiling for Cocoa or Carbon I use frameworks for
TCL and Python.  I generated the framework for python2.2.2 myself as the one
that comes in the mac is incomplete. I remove the python version that comes
with the mac as it confuses cmake. For Cocoa I am still having some small
problems with tcl and python. Carbon works fine.

When compiling for Hybrid X11 do not use frameworks at all. Use the tcltk
and python libraries and corresponding include files from the FINK library.
Make sure that in the generated CMakeCache.txt there are no mixtures of
directives of one package with the other as it will not work properly or not
work at all. Also, for openGL use the -lGL and -lGLU libraries rather
frameworks. Check that all your dylib are the ones associated with a given
package before compiling. Then go for it and wait (i.e. go for lunch). Good
luck.

Gamal Akabani, Ph.D.
Duke University Medical Center
Department of Radiology