[vtkusers] off screen rendering

Michael Bonner bonner10 at llnl.gov
Mon Jun 2 19:40:45 EDT 2003

VTK users:

Im trying to render & save a picture of a large scene (>10,000 actors) off
screen.  I am using the wintel pre-compilied vtk binaries, and I have done
nothing other than call vtkRenderWindow::SetOffScreenRendering(int).
Everything works fine (I can save tiff's and pnm's) when I have a small
number of actors, but when I increase the number, a seg. fault or a paging
fault is produced during the call to vtkRenderWindow::Render. It is using
only about a quarter of my avail. memory.

I have also ported my application to a intel linux cluster running redhat
7.3, these computers have 4 times the amount of ram as my local machine.
That version will load the entire scene, but it will abort with a core dump
or seg. fault while taking the picture.

Both versions work fine with on screen rendering.

Are there limitations within Mesa that limit the size of the scene, I have
seen limits on the dimension in pixels, but nothing related to the amount
of memory? If anyone has any idea what is going on I would greatly
appreciate any help at all.

Thanks a lot,
Mike Bonner