[vtkusers] create a texture map for an arbitrary surface

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 11:56:19 EDT 2003

Hello vtk users,

I would like to create a texture map for an arbitrary polygonal surface
(for example, to enable painting of any 3D object) - is there an easy way
to do this in VTK? I don't want to use vtkTextureMapToPlane or similar
because these don't guarantee a unique bit of texture for each part of the
object.

My thought is to simply map the list of triangles (ideally polygons) onto
the unit square using a grid layout, and use that for the texture
coordinates (duplicating vertices as necessary). Has anyone done something
similar? Would such a class be useful in VTK?

Thanks,

Tim.

Tim Hutton,                        http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~dmi/MINORI
Research Fellow & PhD student,                   T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
MINORI Project, Biomedical Informatics Unit,
Eastman Dental Institute, UCL,                   Tel: [+44] (0)20 7915 2344
256 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK         Fax: on request
This email represents the views of the sender alone and must not be
construed as representing the views of the Eastman Dental Institute. It may
contain confidential information and may be protected by law as a legally
privileged document and copyright work. Its content should not be disclosed
and it should not be given or copied to anyone other than the person(s)
named or referenced above. If you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender.