[vtkusers] vtkPointPicker Accuracy

Paul paulstjohn at cogeco.ca
Thu Jan 30 15:16:23 EST 2003

Hi Christopher,

We had a very similar problem. (BTW, I notice you're at Queen's.
Are you familiar with HRMC?  They are also at Queen's and my
company works with them in the area of computer-assisted
surgery).

In our case we are using the vtkPropPicker (actually, a derivation
of it...) and calling GetPickedPoint().  However, the point is not
quite on the mesh.

Unfortunately, while some pickers allow setting a tolerance for
the picking I couldn't do that.  My solution was to take the point
returned by the picker, which was *very* close to the mesh, and then
find the exact point on the mesh that was closest to this.

I accomplished by using the poly data of the mesh (vtkPolyData)
passing the almost right point to vtkPolyData's FindPoint() method and
passing the result of that to vtkPolyData's GetPoint() method.

HTH,
Paul St. John.
Visible Bytes Software
www.visible-bytes.com