[vtkusers] Problem building VTK 4.0 under Debian Linux

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Jan 29 12:24:44 EST 2003

[snip]

    BW> from vtkpython import *

    BW> r = vtkPolyDataReader()
    BW> r.SetFileName('/usr/local/VTKData/Data/bore.vtk') r.Update()

    BW> d = r.GetOutput() d.GetCellData()

    BW> On the last call i get a segmentation fault.  The last time I

This is very wierd.  I'm regularly building on Debian (i386) using VTK
from CVS (for quite a while now) and haven't seen problems like this.
Leila suspected the data file but I doubt that because bore.vtk is
from standard VTK data so the data can't be bad.  Unless of course you
have an incorrectly downloaded file.  I have a few questions:

 1. Do you have other versions of VTK floating around in your system?
 Any special cmake settings you are using?

 2. Are you using different versions of Python, i.e. are you compiling
 using Python 2.2 and using 2.1 -- this should not cause segfaults
 though.

 3. Is your hardware sound?

 4. Can you compile VTK with -g -O2 (or similar) and try again to see
 if you get a more helpful traceback.

 5. Under RH 7.3 do the nightly rpms work okay?

Good luck!

cheers,
prabhu