[vtkusers] InfoVis with VTK

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed Jan 29 06:10:39 EST 2003

Hi Seraphin -

>Hello,
>I am interested in all works done for making information visualization
>with VTK. Especially I am interested in any pointer addressing the
>following points:
>  - data representation in VTK, esp. relationnal and/or time dependant
> information representation (how to deal with time series? how to encode
> graphs?)
>  - TreeMaps implementation in VTK
>  - graph visualization with VTK (in addition to the vtkGraphLayoutFilter
> class)?
>Thanks in advance for your help.

The info vis support of VTK is weak at the current time.  While the general
representational structure is there (i.e., "fields"), the algorithms are
scarce. Beyond the graph layout filter, there is a
vtkParallelCoordinatesActor class. You can also subsample n-dimensional
data into 2D or 3D and use filters like Delaunay triangulation or
ShepardsMethod to construct a reduced dimension dataset and then visualize
that.

Some folks have created extensions to VTK for InfoViz. In particular, you
might want to see what David Duke has done www.cs.bath.ac.uk/~djd/vtk.html.
If you do anything with this I'd like to be kept informed.

Will

William J. Schroeder, Ph.D.
Kitware, Inc.
469 Clifton Corporate Parkway