[vtkusers] fastest way to precache orthogonal slices of a volume?

Glen.Coates at csiro.au Glen.Coates at csiro.au
Tue Jan 28 19:07:36 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm writing an application in which the user sees orthogonal slices
through a volume (of CT data).  The user is able to 'move' the slice
through the volume within its limits to see the cross section at different
places.  I'm trying to find the fastest way to implement this.

At the moment, for each axis I'm storing the pixel data for every possible
slice as a separate vtkDataArray*, and then for each user-movable slice
there is a vtkActor*, vtkDataSetMapper*, and vtkStructuredPoints*, and as
the slice is moved through the volume, I simply do a
GetPointData()->SetScalars() on the structured points object to select the
correct set of scalars for that part of the volume.

Is this the best way to be doing this?  If not (as I expect), how can I
make this more efficient, because performance at the moment is below par
for the application I am seeking.

--
Cheers,
Glen