[vtkusers] Mac OSX issues -- X11 rendering speed, dylib load time

roch at rogue-research.com roch at rogue-research.com
Mon Jan 27 11:48:59 EST 2003

HI,

I also managed to get vtk to compile using cvs versions of cmake and
vtk. Here's what I did (for anyone interested):

-Installed Apple's X11
-Used fink to install tcltk and python. I was not sure if I needed
python as it is supposed to be installed, but I could not find python
libs anywhere.
-got the cvs version of cmake and tried to compile it. I got the
following error towards the end of the compilation:

Building executable
/Volumes/PocketDrive/Developer/cmake/CMake/Source/ctest...
ld: can't create output file:
/Volumes/PocketDrive/Developer/cmake/CMake/Source/ctest (Is a
directory, errno = 21)
make[3]: *** [/Volumes/PocketDrive/Developer/cmake/CMake/Source/ctest]
Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Source] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2
[Rogue-TiBook:Developer/cmake/CMake] roch%

Since it looked like the main parts of cmake compiled, I went ahead and
did a make install, which seemed to work, since the next steps worked...

-got the cvs version of vtk. I turned off the Carbon switch and turned
on the X11, tcl, and python switches, ran cmake and corrected any path
issues to the headers and/or libs. the build worked however I got a lot
off warnings (did not save them this time, sorry).

I tried some of the tcl demos, some of them displayed an image, but
some come up with a blank window. I also have to figure out how to set
PYTHONPATH to get those to work...

Anyway, it is progress. Thanks for all the responses to my previous
posts. I'll try to get a feel for the speed and report anything that
might be interesting.

Roch Comeau