[vtkusers] Re: Naive questions....OSX

Rich Gronostajski gronos at mac.com
Mon Jan 20 17:57:00 EST 2003

Roch,

>willing to share :-). Here are some areas I need to clarify:
>
>cmake: This is required to build VTK. The current version available
>(unstable) from fink is 1.4.6-2. Does anyone have any experience with
>this working or not?

You need cmake.  I used 1.4.6 and it workede fine

>tcltk: I am a bit confused with this. I tried installing tcltk using
>fink, however after installation, I could only find libraries for tcl,
>not tk. Also, are there versions that are implemented using X11, or are
>they all Quartz based? There is a modified tcltk available from the
>Atamai web site but it is version 8.4, while version from fink is
>8.4.1-1. Is there a reason for the modified tcltk?

This TclTk uses X11 windowing rather than native Aqua windowing.  I
built my VTK using the Aqua windowing Tcl/TK that is present on the
Apple website, not the fink version.  Either should work but I don't
have any experience with the fink version.

>cmake configuration: If I want to use the tcl wrappers, do I want/need
>to enable X11? Does it work with the version of python (2.2) that is
>included in the standard OS X 10.2.3, or do I need to install anything
>else?

It's probably best to build with the new X11 from Apple and enable X11,
rather than using native Aqua Tcl/Tk.  But I didn't do mine that way and
it took me a good 3 days to get it running the way it is and I'm afraid
to change it.  I will say however that the CVS build is probably what
you want to use if you want to build with OSX.  I only got the carbon
wrappings compiled, the cocoa wrappings wouldn't work.  I did get the
python-wrapping to work with the fink python.  So if I were doing it
again I'd use Apple's X11, Fink's Tcl/Tk and python, and run everything
under X11 rather than with native Aqua Tcl/Tk.

>I guess this is the start of the questions that come to mind. I
>appreciate anyone's experiences and I will try to share anything useful
>I come up with as well.

Good luck.

--
Richard M. Gronostajski