[vtkusers] Access Violations in wxVTKRenderWindow Example

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Jan 20 12:44:07 EST 2003

Hi Charl,

    CPB> The solution is something like this when you Destroy() a
    CPB> frame containing a wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor:

[snip]

    CPB> The self._rwi is a wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor and the
    CPB> self._view_frame is a containing frame.  If you _don't_ do it
    CPB> this way and Destroy() the containing frame, your application
    CPB> will crash with a BadWindow error (or similar) as the
    CPB> RenderWindow destructor assumes that the window it's
    CPB> rendering to still exists.

    CPB> I don't know whether one should modify all the RenderWindows
    CPB> to be a bit more intelligent about this.  Your thoughts?

Looks like a good idea.  It would be nice if we could make the
interactor more intelligent so that the user does not have to worry
about this.

I also have an example of a wxVTKRWI not parenting itself properly.
I'll mail it to you shortly.

Charl, if you don't receive this mail directly and only receive a copy
from the list, please let me know.  I'd like to take the discussion
off the list but if that is not possible we have a small problem and I
have to work around it.

cheers,
prabhu