[vtkusers] Coloring polydata with scalars

Mdl mdl78 at libero.it
Tue Jan 14 05:18:15 EST 2003

> Try adding a line that reads:
> m->ScalarVisibilityOn();

I want to thank Prabhu for his help, I tried but it didn't work.
It shows me a totally white sphere.
I am really puzzled about it... anyone has a clue?
Here's the code:

vtkSphereSource *s = vtkSphereSource::New();
    s->SetPhiResolution (20);
    s->SetThetaResolution (20);

vtkFloatArray *fa = vtkFloatArray::New();
    fa->SetNumberOfValues (400);
for (int j=0; j < 400; j++)
    fa->SetValue ((vtkIdType) j, values[j]);    // values[] is an array of
floats in the range 0..100

s->GetOutput()->GetPointData()->SetScalars(fa);

vtkDataSetMapper *m = vtkDataSetMapper::New();
    m->SetInput(s->GetOutput());
    m->SetScalarRange (0, 100);
    m->ScalarVisibilityOn();
    m->SetScalarModeToUsePointData();
    m->SetColorModeToMapScalars();

vtkActor *a = vtkActor::New();
    a->SetMapper (m);

vtkRenderWindow *finestra = vtkRenderWindow::New();
vtkRenderer *ren = vtkRenderer::New();
    ren->AddActor(a);
    ren->SetRenderWindow(finestra);
    finestra->AddRenderer(ren);
vtkRenderWindowInteractor *i = vtkRenderWindowInteractor::New();
    i->SetRenderWindow(finestra);

finestra->Render();
i->Start();

Many thanks,

                            Marco Di Lorenzo
                            (mdl78 at libero.it)

Tesista presso IAC-CNR di Roma
Istituto per le Applicazioni del Calcolo "M. Picone"
Viale del Policlinico, 137
00161, Roma