[vtkusers] RenderWindow question... and vtkQt

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Fri Feb 28 08:07:23 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 13:15, N Smethurst wrote:
> Continuing with this discussion on window closing, does all this imply that
> Dennis's vtkQt solution is probably not catching this event and thus
> objects are left unaccounted for?

Dennis's vtkQt solution _can't_ handle this in a generic and elegant
fashion.  It's up to you to register an event handler for the
close/destroy event and act applicably.

> Also, could you possibly give me a few pointers on what I should learn in
> order to understand this problem?

The whole of VTK ;)  Seriously though, you should make sure you
understand your toolkit (in this case Qt) and especially the problems in
interaction with VTK with regards to 1. the potentially conflicting
event loops (this problem is usually solved by the widget-set/VTK class)
and 2. VTK reference counting vs. the standard destruction semantics of
the widget toolkit.

Good luck,
Charl