[vtkusers] vtkpython:Linux SMP:SIGSEGV upon import vtk

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Feb 27 04:02:53 EST 2003

    DH> My vtkpython seems to run fine on several flavors of
    DH> uni-processor Linux, but a user running SuSE Linux 7.1 (i386)
    DH> 2.2.18-SMP #1 SMP is crashing with SIGSEGV.

    DH> My build environment was as follows:

    DH> Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman) Kernel 2.2.12-20
    DH> uni-processor gcc-3.0.4 Python 2.1.3 vtk 4.1.1, 1.1358 vintage
    DH> 2002/10/05 (without parallel)

Dont know if this will help but here are a few thoughts.

 1. Was VTK built on this same machine or was it built elsewhere and
 used on this machine?

 2. I used to believe that the gcc, glibc and all should kind of be in
 sync.  So could this be because you are using gcc-3.04 on RH 6.1 with
 its older glibc compiled on an older gcc version?  Could there be a
 problem with the linker?  I don't know enough about this to say
 anything definitive but maybe something worth thinking about?
 Perhaps you can try building it with the default RH 6.1 compiler?  Or
 better still upgrade the machine.

 3. Also try and see if a Python recompile from source on this machine
 helps when you use the newer compiler.

 4. vtkpython remembers where the original libraries were installed
 and imports those libraries.  Maybe you have a few versions of the
 VTK libraries on the system.  Can you make sure that there is only
 one set of libraries on your system?

cheers,
prabhu