[vtkusers] RE: VTK

Alex Kempkes alex at seatools.nl
Wed Feb 19 06:41:01 EST 2003

Dear sir & VTK users

We are investigating VTK to use in one of our projects.
I will try to explain what we are looking for.

Our central object is a crane (backhoe dredger on a pontoon) which we want
to visualize (realtime) in the real world.
The crane does dredging from that pontoon in small channels.
We need to calculate the bucket position in the real world, so we can check
and registrate if we are hitting/crossing the bottom (underwater)
theoretical profile. If so we should make a registration of that so the user
knows where he has been digging (dredge marks).

The crane is basically a robot type object (based on a pontoon) and angles
of arms will be measure with angle-sensors on the arms. For real-world
coords, those will be received from DGPS.

It would be nice if we could model the pontoon, crane, boom, stick, bucket
in 3D studio. Then do an export, and find those objects via their object
name back in VTK. This could enable use to rotate/translate the ind.
components and let VTK do the calculation of the bucket position for us.

My question is: Is VTK the right toolkit for this purpose ?

Best regards, Alex Kempkes