[vtkusers] vtkTkRenderWidget problems with Windows nightly release

Sherwood, P (Paul) P.Sherwood at dl.ac.uk
Sun Feb 16 09:07:13 EST 2003

Hi All,

I have recently attempted to switch to the VTK Nightly release
on a Windows 2000 laptop (using Python 2.1) and I found the
following problem when trying to test the vtkTkRenderWidget.py code.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\vtkNightly\Wrapping\Python\vtkTkRenderWidget.py",
line 7, in ?
    vtkRenderWidgetConeExample()
  File "C:\Program
Files\vtkNightly\Wrapping\Python\vtk\tk\vtkTkRenderWidget.py", line 416, in
vtkRenderWidgetConeExample
    pane = vtkTkRenderWidget(root,width=300,height=300)
  File "C:\Program
Files\vtkNightly\Wrapping\Python\vtk\tk\vtkTkRenderWidget.py", line 65, in
__init__
    vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets(master.tk)
  File "c:\Program
Files\vtkNightly\Wrapping\Python\vtk\tk\vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets.py", line 59,
in vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets
    interp.call('load', filename)
TclError: couldn't load library "vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dll": this
library or a dependent library could not be found in library path

The DLL in question does not appear to have been built as part of
the Nightly release.

I know this is a common problem that has been discussed on this list
and the solution I have used in the past is to obtain the DLLs prepared
by Les Schafer (http://basic.astrian.net/godzilla/). The problem now
is that I would like to run with the current VTK version but don't wish
to switch to Python 2.2. Plus It seems unreasonable for expect Les to
rebuild his DLLs to keep up with the nightly VTK.!

Is it possible for whoever supervises the nightly windows compilation
to figure out (perhaps from Les) how to build the extra DLL as part
of the routine build and include it in the download. Ir maybe there is
another workaround?

Does anyone know whether I would have the same problem if I were
to compile the nightly release on windows myseld? I would
prefer not to tackle it at this stage but it would be useful to
know if this is an option for the future.

many thanks for any help,

Paul