[vtkusers] [VTK image rendering] Classes better than vtkImageActor (I think)

Benoit Regrain benoit.regrain at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Wed Feb 12 12:03:16 EST 2003

Hi,

I have made to classes that make the same goal than vtkImageActor.
It's a mapper and a texture that display a texture with right pixels, not an interpolation like make vtkTexture when image isn't a power of 2.
They have these advantages :
 - a lookup table (like vtkTexture)
 - the possibility to be picked (like all 3D actor, unlike vtkImageActor)
 - the use of all possible vtkImageData (I think of scalar type and number of components) (like vtkTexture, unlike vtkImageActor wich is limited to gray scale images in 256 colors)
 - it works in 3D (unlike vtkImageMapper)

They inherits respectively from vtkPolyDataMapper and vtkTexture.
It works perfectly under lunix and windows2000 with OpenGL
I'm sorry, but I didn't have made Mesa files corresponding to OpenGL, and it hasn't been tested under other platforms (that I haven't)

In the same consideration, I have made the work to have multi-texturing... using many vtkImageData on input of a texture. They are drawn in the order that they have been taken on input.
In combination to the multi-texture objet, I have made the mapper which realize the mapping (it's doesn't use the OpenGL extensions to accelerate this works but I know who to make it if anyone requires that).
I don't know if it could be good to make only one vtkTexture that offers this multi-texture possibility... it's to see...
These classes of multi-texture are in the same way than before, right pixels are drawn.

I think it could be usefull in vtk... :-)

Files can be found at the URL : www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~regrain/VTK/Rendering/

PS : if anyone makes Mesa files, could you inform me.

Cheer

Benoit Regrain
Ingénieur d'études CNRS (Creatis)
email : regrain at creatis.insa-lyon.fr