[vtkusers] Errors compiling on MacOS X 10.2.3 with Java wrapper

Carlos Martínez Burgos cmarbur at iti.upv.es
Tue Feb 11 06:32:42 EST 2003

Hi all.

I get errors when I try to compile VTK with Java wrapper on a MacOS X
10.2.3 clean installation. I describe here the steps I have done to
compile it.

1. Install MacOS 10.2 from CDs and update to 10.2.3
2. Install Developper tools from last December
3. Download CVS version of CMake (3 days ago)
4. Download CVS version of VTK (3 days ago and updated to yesterday)
5. Build and install CMake ("./configure", "make" and "make install")
6. Build VTK without wrappers with this options:
     - BUILD_EXAMPLES: OFF
     - BUILD_SHARED_LIBS: ON
     - BUILD_TESTING: OFF
     - VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB: ON
     - VTK_USE_CARBON: ON
     - VTK_USE_COCOA: OFF
     - VTK_USE_HYBRID: ON
     - VTK_USE_PARALLEL: OFF
     - VTK_USE_PATENTED: OFF
     - VTK_USE_RENDERING: ON

   I get some warnings referring to MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET. I set this
environment variable to 10.2 as I saw on the list and then I get no
errors. I compiled and run some examples without errors.

7. Run "ccmake" to enable Java wrapper.
   I get some errors referring to some unknown variables to compile with
Java. These variables are (JAVA_AWT_INCLUDE_PATH, JAVA_INCLUDE_PATH and
JAVA_INCLUDE_PATH2). I set these variables to these values (on
CMakeCache.txt file):
    - JAVA_AWT_INCLUDE_PATH: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaEmbedding.framework/Headers
    - JAVA_INCLUDE_PATH: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers
    - JAVA_INCLUDE_PATH2: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers

   (When I edited this file, I saw another unknown variable that I think
could cause the problem. It is JAVA_AWT_LIBRARY. Look at attached file.)

8. Build VTK ending with this error:

Building shared library /usr/local/src/VTK/bin/libvtkRenderingJava.dylib...
ld: Undefined symbols:
_JAWT_GetAWT
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[3]: *** [/usr/local/src/VTK/bin/libvtkRenderingJava.dylib] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Rendering] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

I don't know what is the problem, but I think it could be that jawt.dylib
or jawt.jnilib library can't be found. If somebody knows where is this
library or what is the problem of my building process I'll be very pleased
to him.

Thanks in advance.

Carlos Martínez Burgos      |     Instituto Tecnológico de Informática
Ingeniero Informático       |      Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
Tlf: +34 963877237          |                        Camí de Vera, S/N
cmarbur at iti.upv.es          |                   46071 Valencia - Spain
www.iti.upv.es/~cmarbur     |                           www.iti.upv.es