[vtkusers] vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper2D too slow

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Mon Feb 10 12:11:29 EST 2003

Hello Brad,

The issue was basically that with the way the volume texture mapping is
implemented, only a subset of the functionality could be supported with the
texture on the hardware (since in the majority of the cases the texture is
being re-built each time).  Only when shading is off, and no parameters
(transfer functions, cropping bounds, etc) are changing can the texture be
re-used. Since lighting is directionally dependent (and the light is
generally tied to the camera) any shaded volume texture mapping requires
recomputing the textures (since shading is done in software) each frame.

There is support for saving the textures (by setting the
MaximumStorageSize) - but this still uses immediate mode rendering for the
textures. This could be changed in the future to support display lists for
saving these textures.

Lisa