[vtkusers] Render() method acting slowly

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Feb 5 12:23:15 EST 2003

hi,

    RB> Greetings everyone, I have a series of spheres (100 or so)
    RB> which I render in VTK through Python. I then reposition all of
    RB> these spheres, and re-render the window using the VTK Render()
    RB> method. With the phi and theta resolution of the spheres set
    RB> to around 30 each, it will only update the display at around 2
    RB> frames per second. If I reduce the phi and theta resolutions
    RB> of the sphere to just 3, then the update speed is better
    RB> (~15fps) but still slower than I would expect, and it is once
    RB> more unbearably slow with 300 spheres or so. However, if I
    RB> rotate, pan or zoom the scene with the mouse I get the kind of
    RB> frame rate I would expect, around 100fps, and this is the case
    RB> even on much more complex scenes.

Someone else had a somewhat similar question a while ago on vtkusers.
I don't know if it will help in any case look at the archives around
this time:

 Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:36:37 +0530
 Subject: Re: [vtkusers] slow interaction when i render 1000 spheres

If you need the script that I attached in one of those replies let me
know and I'll mail it to you off-list.

Basically, try vtkAppendPolyData or vtkGlyph3D or use vtkLODActors
instead of vtkActors.

Can you mail the list a small test program that demonstrates the
problem.  Also note that its likely folks will not be able to help now
because a VTK 4.2 release is imminent.

cheers,
prabhu