[vtkusers] INSTALLATION

Jeremy Winston jbw at ieee.org
Thu Dec 25 08:09:39 EST 2003

Kofi Nyamekye wrote:
> Hi Folks:  I just installed the VTK Software on my NT 4.0 Service Pack
> 6a. The Tcl and the Cmake have installed properly, but the VTK 4.2 has
> not even though during installation the system acknowledged that the VTK
> 4.2 has been successfully installed. In fact, the VTK option does not
> even appear in the Start/Program submenu. When I tested the examples
> (e.g., GUI, Mangledmessa) in the Examples folder (vdk-scr-windows), I
> get an error message that it cannot find the vtk.

Kofi,
     You have to put the path to vtk.exe in your PATH environment variable.
Also, if you want to be able to double-click on a vtk .tcl file and have it
run automatically, you have to override the default association of such
files to the Tcl executable, and associate them instead with your vtk.exe.

Windows Explorer, Tools|Folder options..., File types tab, scroll down
to the TCL entry in the Registered file types: window, highlight it,
and click the Change button, find vtk in the Open with pop-up.  If it's
not there, click the Other... button and add it.  I think the default
location is in a "vtk" or "Visualization Toolkit" folder in "C:\Program Files".

This will allow the .tcl examples to work.  To get the C++ examples to
work, you have to compile them.

HTH,
-Jeremy