[vtkusers] Reasonable use of anti-alias on screen

Christophe Franco cfranco at amsatec.fr
Mon Dec 15 07:36:32 EST 2003

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to find reasonable settings for anti-aliasing. I use
LineSmoothingOn on the RenderWindow, along with SetAAFrames(...). The
problem is to find a proper value for the last method.

I often read that people use SetAAFrames(16), which seems completely
impossible for the tests I have made. I display a rather simple 3D
wireframe grid, the test PC is a P IV 2.4Ghz, with 1Go of RAM, 64MB of
video memory, in 1024x768. As soon as I use SetAAFrames with a parameter
over 2, it becomes so slow that it is almost impossible to move the view.

Have I missed something important, or is it normal that the view is so
slow as soon as I use SetAAFrames ?