[vtkusers] symbol __ls__7ostreamPCc: referenced symbol not found

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Thu Dec 11 17:24:04 EST 2003

In trying to run the Cone.java example, I get this:

# java Cone
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/hf/local/lib/vtk/libvtkCommonJava.so: ld.so.1: java: fatal: relocation
error: file /hf/local/lib/vtk/libvtkCommonJava.so: symbol
__ls__7ostreamPCc: referenced symbol not found
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1480)
        at Cone.<clinit>(Cone.java:17)
#

Is this a problem with my LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  Usually those manifest a
little differently (can't find some .so library, for instance.)  The
symbol not found feels like I have the wrong version of a library or
something.  I don't have any idea where to start - as I've mentioned on
this list before, I'm not a C++ developer, I'm a sysadmin trying to help
a professor get VTK installed for a class in the spring.  Unfortunately,
the point where I start trying to track down why things can't find
symbols is the point where I find myself in way over my head.  Any
pointers in the right direction would be -greatly- appreciated - I've
been trying to get this to work for the professor on Solaris for two
weeks now.  We got it working under Linux - of course it's easier when
you have Examples to use (see my other message about Examples not
building on Solaris).

Sorry to be so basic, but I'm more or less at a dead end and don't
really know where else to find help - the user's guide doesn't discuss
how to debug these problems, and google searches have turned up empty.
Thanks for your help.

-Fran

--

Fran Fabrizio