[vtkusers] Using Java Threads in VTK

Sunayana Saha sunayana_saha at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 17:15:38 EST 2003

Hi,

I am trying to create a 3D animation tool using VTK in Java. I basically want to iterate through different set of 3D points continuously, until the user decides to stop. If I do this using an infinite 'while' loop, then I lose control over the program and the user can no longer stop the animation unless he totally terminates the program.

I am thus trying to use a Java Thread to implement the above functionality. I change the points in the 'run()' method of the Thread and then try to render the VTK window. As soon as I do this, I get lots of C++-side errors in a pop-up window. I read a previous post in VTK's mailing list and that says that using Render in the Thread construct method causes this problem. When I comment out the Render statement, I do not get the C++ side errors, but the window is no longer updated to reflect the new set of points.

I will sincerely appreciate if someone could give me suggestions on how to work around this problem.

Thanks alot,
Saha