[vtkusers] Breaking the pipeline

Matthias Haack haack at rz.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Aug 31 07:43:22 EDT 2003

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Wright wrote:
> If you're intent on using the deep copy instead of creating another pipeline,
 > then I think you only need one deep copy:
 > flip->SetInput(imData);
 > vtkImageData *temp = flip->GetOutput();
 > flip->Update();
 > imData->DeepCopy(temp);
 > flip->Delete();

yes well I must admit that I did not saw this as I wrote my last message.

> Just a note that I think the main reason this is causing you so much
 > trouble is that it is not the way a pipeline setup is supposed to be
used.
 > If you maintain a handle to the actors, then there are
 > much cleaner and more efficient ways that this could be accomplished.

Yes, you're right this is not the supposed way to setup a pipeline but
in my application data and filters are two separate objects (and the
visualization is another one). But I do not want to have a reference to
a vtkActor in my data objects because my data objects don't know
anything about how they will be rendered.

At the moment I'm using a vtkActor but this might change to other
concepts because the display is done in 3D and the scenegraph I use has
still problems with OpenGL nodes at the moment.

Thanks a lot for your help with the pipeline, it even helped me to
understand the pipeline a little better (and what's implicitely done
while updating the pipeline).

Matthias