[vtkusers] python wrapping local classes

Ed Bachta ebachta at iupui.edu
Thu Aug 28 14:28:28 EDT 2003

Hello vtkusers,

I'm trying to add a class to my VTK build. I was able to add it to a
directory called Local and build a C++ .so nicely by following the
suggestions in the VTK README. I can even create a C++ application that
uses the class. However, I'm having trouble with the python wrapping. I
seem to get a libvtkLocalPython.so in the bin directory, but when I try
using my class in a script I have problems. First, it doesn't seem to be
in the vtk module:

-----
[ebachta at jackson Blondin]$ vtkpython
vtk version 4.3.0, vtk source $Revision: 1.1610 $, $Date: 2003/06/23
01:45:05 $
(GMT)
Python 2.2.2 (#1, Feb 24 2003, 19:13:11)
[GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-4)] on linux2
>>> import vtk
>>> ren = vtk.vtkRenderer()
>>> h = vtk.vtkHistogramColorBar()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'vtkHistogramColorBar'
-----

And if I try loading from the python library for Local directly it has
problems with undefined symbols:

-----
>>> from libvtkLocalPython import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: /usr/local/src/VTK/bin/libvtkLocalPython.so: undefined
symbol: PyVTKClass_vtkActor2DNew
-----

I'm suspecting that I'm missing something in my Local/CMakeLists.txt,
but I don't know what that would be. I'm working on a Linux box.

--
Ed Bachta
Technical Lead