[vtkusers] socket send errors

Christopher M. Navarro cnavarro at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 26 08:09:31 EDT 2003

When sending numerous data sets over a socket(vtkSocketCommunicator) from
a java client to a c++ server I have been seeing some errors that
occasionally show up.  I have 17 polydata sets that I'm sending from a
java client and ocassionally I get tag mismatch errors where the tag that
the c++ client thinks it gets is some large and bogus number (5391674) or
something on that order.  Usually the first send or maybe the first few
sends will work fine but then on a 4th or 5th send of the data a tag
mismatch error occurs.  To temporarily resolve the issue I close
the socket connection and then reopen it midway between the sends (it
always stopped on the 8th data set without fail).  Any ideas as to what
this could be?  For an idea on the size of the data, when written to file
it's about 228kb.

regards,

chris