[vtkusers] Using X3D with VTK?

Mathieu Malaterre Mathieu.Malaterre at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Tue Aug 26 04:23:47 EDT 2003

J.Sugrue at pilz.ie wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've used VTK already in my Java project, and it seems to have done quite
> well.
> However, a new requirement is that I need to be able to read X3D format.
>
> Is VTK able to do this?  Will I have to write an extension to VTK to make
> this possible? If so, could you please point me to a resource explaining
> how this could be done.

James,

	Here is the list of 3D files format supported by VTK:

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/vtkfaq?req=show&file=faq03.002.htp

	I guess you'll need to write your own !
	My suggestion, read first the VRML import/export filter this might fit
your need. Furthermore as X3D seems to be close to VRML, this should
also be 'easy' to write a file reader for it.
	Finally:

	http://www.wotsit.org/

has some good references.

HTH