[vtkusers] getting started...

bob green lost_bits1110 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 24 23:12:06 EDT 2003

Hello..........

I am a newbie at VTK....

I am programming using VC++ 6.0 on WinXP and I believe I have downloaded
most of the necessary files already off of the vtk home page...

So one of the zip files I downloaded off their page contains the 'vtk42'
folder, in which there is a folder called 'Examples' in which there is
another folder called 'Tutorial' in which there are several examples going
from most basic to more advanced in more folders called 'Step 1', 'Step 2'
etc...

So many of you may have run into this when you were getting started...

So I tried running the Cone.cxx file they provide in 'Step 1' but I get the
following link errors:

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: void __thiscall vtkCamera::Azimuth(double)"
(__imp_?Azimuth at vtkCamera@@QAEXN at Z)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: class vtkCamera * __thiscall vtkRenderer::GetActiveCamera(void)"
(__imp_?GetActiveCamera at vtkRenderer@@QAEPAVvtkCamera@@XZ)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: static class vtkRenderWindow * __cdecl vtkRenderWindow::New(void)"
(__imp_?New at vtkRenderWindow@@SAPAV1 at XZ)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: void __thiscall vtkRenderer::AddActor(class vtkProp *)"
(__imp_?AddActor at vtkRenderer@@QAEXPAVvtkProp@@@Z)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: static class vtkRenderer * __cdecl vtkRenderer::New(void)"
(__imp_?New at vtkRenderer@@SAPAV1 at XZ)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: static class vtkActor * __cdecl vtkActor::New(void)"
(__imp_?New at vtkActor@@SAPAV1 at XZ)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: void __thiscall vtkPolyDataMapper::SetInput(class vtkPolyData *)"
(__imp_?SetInput at vtkPolyDataMapper@@QAEXPAVvtkPolyData@@@Z)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: class vtkPolyData * __thiscall vtkPolyDataSource::GetOutput(void)"
(__imp_?GetOutput at vtkPolyDataSource@@QAEPAVvtkPolyData@@XZ)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: static class vtkPolyDataMapper * __cdecl
vtkPolyDataMapper::New(void)" (__imp_?New at vtkPolyDataMapper@@SAPAV1 at XZ)

Cone.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: static class vtkConeSource * __cdecl vtkConeSource::New(void)"
(__imp_?New at vtkConeSource@@SAPAV1 at XZ)

Debug/Cone.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 10 unresolved externals

Error executing link.exe.

So as you can tell.. I am really a newbie... but if someone could help me
with my silly question then that would be just great................!  I
just need a push start..!!  Also, I don't have the books they suggest for
learning VTK.. can anyone recommend any good sites or anything from where I
can learn..??

Thanks a million...

- lost bits