[vtkusers] Problems using VTK on different graphic boards

Michael Aschke aschke at ira.uka.de
Mon Aug 18 10:10:10 EDT 2003

Hi all.

We use VTK for stereoscopic visualization. The stereoscopic images are
displayed using a TFT-Monitor each. In this setup we use a GeForce 4
Ti46000 dual graphics board. In order to make changes to the software it
is planned to  edit the source code of our project on a third monitor
(via a PCI graphics board (GeForce4)).
We want the PCI graphics board just for the Windows Desktop and leave
the GeForce 4Ti dual board for VTK.

The graphic boards are configured, so that we have a single Windows
desktop  including the areas which are displayed by the monitors.

Our Problem is now:
If we start the software on the monitors attached to the dual graphics
board, the RenderWindow is blank (nothing is visualized), but
Interactor-Events work fine.
If we start the software on the monitor attached to the PCI graphics
board (which is the primary monitor), everything works fine.

We suppose this is an OpenGL Problem, because our GUI-Application (Qt)
is displayed correctly.

Is there any way to tell VTK to run on a specific graphics board if
there are more than one available?

I hope, someone can help me with this.

best regards,
Michael