[vtkusers] building an VTK install for another machine

straw dog straw_dog at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 10:43:16 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a custom build of VTK to be useable for a group  of
people.  I'm working on both a Windows
and UNIX build, and have found this problem wth each one.  For some reason,
VTK insists on putting full path names in a large number of the resulting
files.  This forces me to build VTK in the final location in which it wll
reside - on Windows, this is particularly frustrating, as it means that I
have to make sure that all users mount the shared VTK install in the same
path (Visual C++ does not like UNCpaths).  Worse, the findVTK.cmake script
seems to point includes back to the original source directory, not the
installed include directory.  Needless to say, this makes for a very messy
install.

Has anyone had any luck building a set of VTK binaries and associated files
that can then be moved around independently of the original source?  How was
the install that came on the CDRom built?

thanks
Rupert B.