[vtkusers] VTK + Python on Solaris

Donna Hanlon donna at pulvinar.wustl.edu
Wed Aug 6 10:02:00 EDT 2003

Hi Craig,

We also run VTK+Python on Solaris.

You wrote:
 >But during the VTK build I get the following:
 >ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
sections

I believe your "relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
sections" link error goes away when you use the "-fPIC" flag with your
compiler (e.g., export CC="gcc -fPIC" before doing make).  We ended up
using gcc on Solaris due to problems with Sun's compiler on some
software other than vtk/python (might have been tcl/tk, though).

Feel free to check out our build script for IRIX, Linux, and Solaris
(http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/surefit/SureFitSrc/BuildSureFit).

Donna