[vtkusers] VTK + Python on Solaris

Epifanio, Craig C cepi at neo.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 4 11:32:34 EDT 2003

I am trying to build VTK 4.2.2 with Python 2.2.2 on Solaris 8 so that I can
try out the MayaVi visualization code.  I have sucessfully managed to compile
VTK and both the c++ and tcl examples run beautifully for the most part.  But
when I try to use python I get the following error:

>>> import vtkpython
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/src/VTK-4.2.2/Wrapping/Python/vtkpython.py", line 7, in ?
    from vtk import *
  File "/usr/local/src/VTK-4.2.2/Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py", line 7, in
?
    from common import *
  File "/usr/local/src/VTK-4.2.2/Wrapping/Python/vtk/common.py", line 7, in ?
    from libvtkCommonPython import *
ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/src/VTK-4.2.2/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so: symbol
__1cDstdMbasic_string4Ccn0ALchar_traits4Cc__n0AJallocator4Cc___J__nullref_:
referenced symbol not found

I am not a python user, so I am a bit stuck.  Does anyone recognize this one?
I would be much obliged if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Craig

PS some details:
  i) I compiled VTK using the Sun cc and CC compilers.  I also tried the GNU
compilers but ran into a number of errors (non-ANSI stuff I think).
  ii)  I installed python from the binary at sunfreeware.com.  I believe this
was compiled using gcc.
  iii)  I have tried several of the suggestions I found on the archives (e.g.,
various settings for LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PYTHONPATH).