[vtkusers] dividing cubes algorithm

Tim Fooy tim.fooy at pandora.be
Tue Apr 29 08:22:46 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I have a question about the dividing cubes algorithm, as described in The
Visualisation Toolkit book, p. 303.
The book states (p. 304) that the recursive variant of the algorithm possibly
generates more pixels than the procedural one.  Isn't that wrong?  Both
variants divide voxels to such a depth that a solid surface can be rendered,
depending on the screen resolution.  So, in the end, the size of the
subvoxels they create is equal.  But, the recursive variant does not go to
this depth everywhere in the original voxel, only in the part where the
surface passes through.  So as i see it, i am inclined to think that the
recursive variant produces less points.

Can somebody point out where my thinking goes wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Tim