[vtkusers] Re: Linking VTK under Red Hat

Ben Appleton s348212 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Apr 23 21:20:13 EDT 2003

Hi all!

First of all I apologise for spamming.  Is there a newsgroup I can send this
to instead?

I'm trying to get into VTK to display 3D medical data for my phd - it looks
like a fantastic toolkit.  I started by compiling it under windows, since
I'm more familiar with windows than with *nix - that worked perfectly.  Then
I tried downloading the source from
http://www.vtk.org/files/release/4.2/VTK-4.2-LatestRelease.tar.gz (the
standard download from the VTK webpage) and compiling that.  It compiles
happily enough, but the linker drops out.  The errors I get are all
'undefined reference's to the components of iostream, such as cout, cin,
<<, >>, endl, etc.  Why wouldn't it automatically link the standard
libraries?
I've tried numerous configurations via cmake, I've installed the latest
version of gcc, but nothing makes the slightest difference.  I'd appreciate
any assistance you can offer.

Regards,
Ben Appleton
ITEE, The University of Queensland