[vtkusers] new user attempting install on mac OSX

Adrian Umpleby a.umpleby at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 18 09:00:45 EDT 2003

>> At what stage is it going wrong? Did you compile VTK for Carbon or
>> Cocoa? (I've yet to try it for Cocoa - that's one of my next
>> projects...) Did you eradicate all mention of X11 lib and include
>> paths from your CMakeCache.txt? Are you using gcc3 or gcc2? OSX10.1
>> or  10.2? Have you got Aqua Tkinter in your Python framework? (Try
>> starting python, then type "import Tkinter".) Have you got the Python
>> interpreter application, so the tk windows have a genuine OSX app to
>> work within?
>
> so i followed the mayavi build instructions. everything went fine. i
> tested vtk-usage using mayavi's included python test-script. fine.
> then  when i start mayavi (whatever way) i get a segmentation fault.

Can you 'gdb' that to get a stack trace?

> btw: python is working with vtk quite well (not perfect) esp. the
> renderinteractor seems to have probs with aqua tkinter.

Do you not have any of the other issues I mentioned in my recent posts
("VTK on OSX with Mayavi..." etc.)?

> but i'm not so much into python/vtk. prefer tcl. and i also tried
> cocoa. which works great for me. but i do a separte build with static
> libraries for cocoa. the other build is for carbon/java/python/tcl
> with  shared libs.

That sounds like the closest to mine, except I don't wrap Java.

> in the carbon/python/tcl/java build i have the following settings
> regarding X11:
>
> //X11 extra flags.
> CMAKE_X_CFLAGS:STRING=-I/usr/X11R6/include

OK. I removed all reference to X11 from my CMakeCache.txt, to avoid
multiply-defined symbols and conflicts with X11 headers vs some private
X11-headers in the Tk framework that I picked up from somewhere (can't
remember where now! But the file is called tkIntXlibDecls.h - seems to
have stuff for when MAC_TCL and/or MAC_OSX_TK is defined, and these
conflict slightly with the definitions in X11/Xlib.h...)

> for the rest: i'm using gcc3, osx 10.2.5.

So you don't find it hangs when you try to 'import vtk' in python? Or
'package require vtk' in tclsh?

> i have aqua tkinter in the  python framework and that works. and also
> the python interpreter.

Where (and when) did you get Tkinter for Aqua?

Bye!

Adrian