[vtkusers] new user attempting install on mac OSX

Byron Amerson byronea at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:13:37 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am attempting an install of VTK with the goal of then installing mayavi.
Im using a mac imac  ppc running OSX.2.4 with developer tools
installed, all relevant unix apps are installed via fink -- and here is
where I think the problem is. The make sequence gets hung up looking for
the python2.2 libs and python utils lib (does this mean 'distutils'??).

Fink moves things around a bit, here are what I think are the correct
paths to the pythons libs: /sw/lib/python2.2/   and
/sw/lib/python2.2/distutils/  --Are these correct??

Are there any fink users out there who have install VTK with the python
wrappers succesfully?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

The following errors are returned by make:

Building shared module
/usr/local/VTK-4.2.2/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so...
ld: can't map file: /sw/lib ((os/kern) invalid argument)
make[3]: *** [/usr/local/VTK-4.2.2/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Common] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

Byron Amerson
MS student
University of Washington