[vtkusers] Strange problem with Python

Harris Scott R Civ AFRL/SNJM Scott.Harris at wpafb.af.mil
Mon Apr 14 16:54:29 EDT 2003

I've been trying to upgrade to the CVS version of VTK, but I'm
experiencing an odd problem.

I get this error when my program starts:

wxPython imported...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "POP.py", line 26, in ?
    import POPView
  File "PythonSource/POPView.py", line 20, in ?
    from vtk import *
  File "/home/scott/VTK-4.2.2/Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py", line 10, in ?
    from imaging import *
  File "/home/scott/VTK-4.2.2/Wrapping/Python/vtk/imaging.py", line 7, in ?
    from libvtkImagingPython import *
ImportError: /home/scott/VTK/bin/libvtkImagingPython.so: R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x0d9a5d48 for symbol `utterworthHighPassPCc' out of range

This error happens when the project I'm working on starts up. I've tried to
reproduce the problem in a small test script, but I can't. I can import vtk
in small test scripts and interactively in python with no problem. The demos
all work fine as well.

I don't see the problem with the 4.2.2 relese. I've compiled both 4.2.2 and the CVS
version with identical options in ccmake.

I'm using VTK with python 2.2 and wxPython. My machine is a mac powerbook
running yellowdog linux 2.3 (similar to redhat).

I don't understand the error message, so I don't know where to start looking.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Scott

Scott Harris