[vtkusers] Rendering Multiple Volumes

John Biddiscombe john.biddiscombe at mirada-solutions.com
Mon Apr 14 05:49:27 EDT 2003

When rendering a volume using a raycast mapper, a ray is fired through the volume and the pixel colour/intensity id generated from the sum of all interactions of the ray as it passes through (given your compositing/transfer function). The result is a single pixel with a z-depth of the nearest non zero voxel the ray passed through...

when a second volume is raycast...if it overlaps the first, the same process is performed, but this time when the "result" pixel is generated, it will only be copied to screen if the z-depth is closer than the pixel written previously...to get the two volume to be blended properly, one would need to override the raycast mapper and tell it to check both volumes and composite the final pixel value from the transfer functions of both individual rays (taking into account the depths of voxels in both volumes as it passes through). this is quite a lot more complicated and vtk doesn't do it.

a vtkMulti-Volume-RayCastMapper would be nice, but probably quite slow!

JB
(PS. I may need correction on some of the above)