[vtkusers] Line distance implicit function

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Wed Apr 9 18:29:34 EDT 2003

Chris,
  this sounds great. I will be happy to give it a test drive when its
ready. Keep me posted.
  regards
   Dave Pont

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          Chris Scharver         |
|        |          <scharver at evl.uic.edu> |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          vtkusers-admin at public.k|
|        |          itware.com             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          10/04/2003 10:05       |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     vtkusers at public.kitware.com                                                                   |
  |      cc:                                                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     Re: [vtkusers] Line distance implicit function                                           |

At 11:35 AM +1200 on 04/08/2003, David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz wrote:

>    I think you could use vtkImplicitModeller followed by
vtkImplicitDataSet
>but this is very inefficient. It seems vtkImplicitModeller is like
>vtkImplicitFunction and vtkSampleFunction rolled up together. It would be
>nice to unroll this: make a class derived from vtkImplicitFunction which
>contains the EvaluatePosition stuff to get the distance functionality. You
>might have to use local differences to get the gradient? Then you could
>pass this new implicit function directly to the clipper. This sounds much
>smarter, and a useful class.

Thanks for the response! Looking at the code in a little more detail,
it looks like I should be able to just grab the part that I need.
vtkCell already handles the significant work involved. I'll likel
have time to implement just what I need for a
vtkImplicitPolyDataFunction, but once I get that done I'll make it
available so that it can be polished off and perhaps contributed.

Chris
--
Chris Scharver
Electronic Visualization Laboratory