[vtkusers] Point data generation

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Wed Apr 9 17:31:36 EDT 2003

Salut Jonathan,
  sorry for the poor answer. Yes LOD is level of detail. vtkDecimate
provides the method SetTargetReduction, it also provides several other
methods to control the final number of polgons (see the documentation for
details). So my thought was you could take your original data set, pass it
through vtkDecimate with one value for TargetReduction, save the points,
change TargetReduction and repeat, if you are clever you might put this in
a loop and save the data to file at each pass. At each pass you would
reduce the original data set to a smaller and smaller set of points. These
sets of points can be used to represent the original object at different
levels of resolution.
  regards
    Dave Pont

|--------+---------------------------------->
|        |          Jonathan Bailleul       |
|        |          <Jonathan.Bailleul at greyc|
|        |          .ismra.fr>              |
|        |          Sent by:                |
|        |          Jonathan.Bailleul at greyc.|
|        |          ismra.fr                |
|        |                                  |
|        |                                  |
|        |          10/04/2003 00:46        |
|        |                                  |
|--------+---------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz                                                               |
  |      cc:     Jan Fransens <jan.fransens at luc.ac.be>, vtkusers at public.kitware.com                            |
  |      Subject:     Re: [vtkusers] Point data generation                                                     |

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>    can you use vtkDecimate to reduce the number of triangles? run with
> different targets to get a set of LOD models.

Err, could you explain me the point of running with different targets?
What means LOD anyway? (Level Of Detail?)

Thanks in advance.

--
Jonathan BAILLEUL, Doctorant