[vtkusers] Point data generation

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Tue Apr 8 17:24:20 EDT 2003

Hi Jan,
   can you use vtkDecimate to reduce the number of triangles? run with
different targets to get a set of LOD models. Then extract the points only
(not cells). I dont know if there is a filter to do this but it could be
done quite simply by iterating through the points in the data set and
feeding them into a new unstructured grid.
  regards
    Dave Pont

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          "Jan Fransens"         |
|        |          <jan.fransens at luc.ac.be|
|        |          >                      |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          vtkusers-admin at public.k|
|        |          itware.com             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          09/04/2003 02:23       |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     <vtkusers at public.kitware.com>                                                                 |
  |      cc:                                                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     [vtkusers] Point data generation                                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi,

  I am currently working on an surface fitting algorithm and for testing
purposes, I want to be able to generate virtual
360 degrees range scans of arbitrary 3D models. In other words, I would
like
to convert given polydata to a set of unstructured points, that together
form a description of the objects surface. I would also like these points
be spaced evenly in space i.e. small triangles generate less point samples
than larger ones. Does anyone have experience doing this kind of thing, or
knows a preferred way to handle this?

many thanks,

j a n