[vtkusers] mayavi ValueError: method requires a vtk object

Karl Garsha garsha at itg.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 6 21:25:00 EDT 2003

Greetings,
I've built VTK 4.2 + Python2.2 with Tkinter on LinuxPPC (Kernel
2.4.20-ppc-r3) and everything works well (at least the examples I've
tried).
	I'm trying to run MayaVi--I've installed using the setup.py script and
there were no errors.  When I run the test_vtk.py script in the docs
directory everthing checks out A-OK. I can import mayavi in the python
interpreter without incident.  As far as I can tell everything should be
in order, but I'm having problems getting MayaVi to run with the
"mayavi" command.
	The error I get follows:

 > mayavi&
[1] 26883
 > Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/bin/mayavi", line 277, in ?
     app = MayaViTkGUI (r)
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mayavi/Main.py", line
779, in __init__
     self.renwin = Misc.RenderWindow.RenderWindow (self.renwin_frame)
   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mayavi/Misc/RenderWindow.py",
line 124, in __init__
     mode='vtk')
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mayavi/Misc/Lights.py",
line 696, in __init__
     self.lights = self._create_lights()
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mayavi/Misc/Lights.py",
line 704, in _create_lights
     lights.insert(i, Light())
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mayavi/Misc/Lights.py",
line 36, in __init__
     self.glyph = LightGlyph()
   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/mayavi/Misc/Lights.py",
line 160, in __init__
     capmapper.SetInput(pdata)
ValueError: method requires a VTK object

	I'm not sure what to make of this--has anyone seen this before?
Compared to OS X (which I scrapped because I finally realized that it
didn't permit software rendering for OpenGL, and I'm running an older
video subsystem) things have been pretty smooth on LinuxPPC (things
compile about 5x faster too).  Any insights would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance and best regards,
Karl