[vtkusers] Implicit functions rendering using an octree

Dimitris Andritsos jimandr at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 5 02:46:25 EST 2003

Hello everyone,

I am a new user to VTK and I would like your help. I am designing a programm
that takes as input implicit functions (in the form of an equation), parses
and evaluates them. During the evaluation phase, an octree data structure is
constructed and I want to use VTK to view the surface. How should this be
done?

I tried using marching cubes and although it works, because vtkImage data
have to be used, the number of evaluations is very big and the time it takes
to render the surfaces is prohibitive. Can another type of data set be used
with the octree and marching cubes or any other contouring class of Vtk? The
octree uses the cube as the basic voxel. The problem associated with the
octree, as I understand it, is that I end up with cubes of various sizes and
this is why I can't use marching cubes.

I would really appreciate any help on this problem. It is not mandatory that
I have to go with the octree so any other suggestion is welcome. I am
thinking of the octree for performance efficiency reasons.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Jimmy