[vtkusers] Reading CT scan images

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 2 09:49:20 EST 2003

    Jack> Hi, I want to read CT scan images ( Dicom format). I am
    Jack> using VTK 4.2 and C++. I need to know which class is the
    Jack> most appropriate for this. Also if I have CT scsns of IS&C
    Jack> format of Toshiba scanner, can I convert it into DICOM, how?

As for DICOM, check the archives:

http://www.kitware.com/cgi-bin/htsearch

You'll find many threads on reading DICOM files.

Also, check the FAQ: http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/vtkfaq?req=all#3.6

As for IS&C, I don't know anything about the format, but if all the
data is stored regularly at the end of the file (after a fixed length
header) vtkImageReader or a derived class with appropriate settings
can do the job.  Check the examples in the Examples/Medical/Cxx dir
that comes with the VTK src for examples of how to set these flags.

John Hunter