[vtkusers] crash: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error in native code outside th e Java VM

Lichan.Hong at parc.com Lichan.Hong at parc.com
Thu Sep 19 18:33:22 EDT 2002

I have been building my application using the VTK Java interface. Recently, my
system crashes frequently, resulting in the following error message:

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at PC=0x23A73EFD
Function=[Unknown.]
Library=C:\Lichan\com\kitware\vtkCommonJava.dll

NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
      just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for possible
      reason and solutions.

Current Java thread:
	at vtk.vtkPointSet.GetPoints_13(Native Method)
	at vtk.vtkPointSet.GetPoints(vtkPointSet.java:64)
	at MyFilter.executeMethod(MyFilter.java:81)
	at vtkPanel.RenderInternal(Native Method)
	at vtkPanel.render(vtkPanel.java:157)
	- locked <02F4E1D0> (a vtkPanel)
	at java.awt.Button.processActionEvent(Button.java:381)

Essentially, what I try to do is: when a certain button is pressed, it triggers an animation. During
this animation, class "MyFilter" deforms a piece of geometry and then I call render() of vtkPanel
to generate a new frame. "MyFilter", a subclass of vtkPragrammableFilter, is a simple class
that I wrote. Its method "executeMethod()" preforms the geometry deformation.

Since my animation is running in a sequential manner:
				render
				geometry update
				render
				geometry update
I am deeply puzzled by the above error message.

Any helps will be greatly appreciated.

Lichan